Nomzilla, the little neighborhood sushi spot in Edgehill Village, has undergone a major expansion of its space and its menu.
Owner Thet H. Tint knocked a door in a wall and more than doubled Nomzilla’s seating space. Now, in addition to the candy-colored green-and-orange room that houses the ordering counter, there’s a tranquil cream-colored dining room adjoining it.
And the menu has gotten more diverse. In addition to build-your-own sushi rolls and sushi-topped rice bowls, Nomzilla now offers tempura and hearty noodle soup bowls.
A lot of the new items have a healthy twist. The veggie udon, for example, features broccoli, fresh spinach, squares of tofu and sprigs of enoki mushrooms floating in a house-made vegetable broth. There’s also a seafood udon bowl with shrimp and scallops.
Udon is, of course, a thick wheat noodle, but Nomzilla also offers a more novel noodle called shirataki. It’s a low-calorie, low-carb noodle, traditional in Japanese cooking, made from the yam-like konjac plant.
Over on the sushi menu, Nomzilla still serves a couple of unique items: the ultra-spicy Fire-Breathing Roll, made with the ghost pepper (so spicy Tint has to use a respirator when he prepares the sauce), plus crispy onions and mango; and the even spicier Scorpion Roll, with tempura crunchies, avocado and toasted coconut, along with a searing sauce from the scorpion pepper.
Tint also has a beverage expansion planned; in addition to gourmet soft drinks, green tea and coconut water, he’s applied for a license to serve beer. Eventually he hopes to get a liquor permit to serve sake, as well.
Nomzilla Sushi et Cetera is located at 1201 Villa Place, Suite 101. The phone number is 268-1424. Hours: 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday; 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday.
• Meanwhile, over in the ever-evolving Gulch neighborhood, a pub called The Pub is in the works in the Pine Street Flats development.
As my Nashville Post colleague William Williams reports, The Pub is a British-inspired pub concept out of Cincinnati, with nine locations in Ohio, Kentucky and Florida. It’s owned by the Tavern Restaurant Group, the company also behind Nicholson’s, a massively popular gastropub in Cincinnati, and a couple other restaurants. We’ll keep you posted as the opening nears.
• Speaking of evolving neighborhoods, The Clean Plate Club, a popular catering outfit that has operated in 12South since the early days of the area’s renaissance in 1999, has packed up all its gear and is moving to 423 Houston St., not far from Gabby’s Burgers and Greer Stadium.
According to the Clean Plate Club Facebook page, they hope to be back in business this week.
All of this raises a question: What does the future hold for the now-empty space at 2902 12th Ave. S.? Given the 12South neighborhood’s current restaurant explosion, it’s a good bet we’ll hear something soon.
• Hearty congratulations are in order for Nashville’s most venerable hot chicken joint, Prince’s Hot Chicken Shack.
We’re used to Prince’s getting national attention (the Southern Foodways Alliance even made a documentary about it), but last week an especially
impressive honor was announced.
The James Beard Foundation in New York is presenting Prince’s with one of this year’s America’s Classics Awards. Here’s how the JBF describes America’s Classics: “Distinguished by their timeless appeal, they serve quality food that reflects the character of their communities.”
The award has previously gone to another Nashville restaurant, Arnold’s Country Kitchen, in 2009.
Prince’s and this year’s other America’s Classics honorees — Kramarczuk’s (Minneapolis), Frank Fat’s (Sacramento), C.F. Folks (Washington, D.C.) and Keens Steakhouse (New York) — will be celebrated at the Beard Awards Gala on May 6 at Lincoln Center in New York.
- BRASWELL, ROBERT
- GARRETT, JOHNNY C EXECUTOR; GARRETT, JOHNNY C IV EXECUTOR; GARRETT, ANN BIGGER ESTATE; GARRETT, TIMOTHY M EXECUTOR
- GARRETT, TIMOTHY M EXECUTOR; GARRETT, ANN BIGGER ESTATE; GARRETT, JOHNNY C EXECUTOR; GARRETT, JOHNNY C IV EXECUTOR
- GARRETT, JOHNNY C IV EXECUTOR; GARRETT, JOHNNY C EXECUTOR; GARRETT, ANN BIGGER ESTATE; GARRETT, TIMOTHY M EXECUTOR