A new burger restaurant opened last week in Antioch, and you may recognize the name of the two chef-entrepreneurs who own it.
Called 360 Burger, it’s the project of David Swett Jr. and his brother Patrick Swett, scions of the family that has owned and operated the venerable Swett’s restaurant in North Nashville for almost 60 years. (Their father is David Swett Sr.; their grandparents founded Swett’s at 28th Avenue North and Clifton in 1954.)
The younger Swetts both have culinary degrees from Johnson and Wales. According to David Jr., they’re sourcing ingredients locally, including the grass-fed beef used in the burgers. He said he’s particularly fond of some of the specialty burgers on the menu, like the Farm Boy (with country ham, fried egg and maple cream cheese) and the Cilantro Avocado Burger (a stuffed burger with smoked gouda cheese and jalapeño).
The chili is made in house with local Jackalope beer, and comes solo or as a topping for a burger or fries.
Not everything is beefy on the menu. There are chicken items (including fried chicken, hot or mild) and an oyster bar. You can get your oysters raw on the half-shell, or char-grilled. Check out the menu at 360burger.net.
There’s a full bar with beer, wine and cocktails at 360 Burger, and the Swetts plan to welcome live music a couple nights a week, including writers’ nights. 360 Burger is located at 5356 Hickory Hollow Parkway. The phone number is 730-8798. They are open for lunch and dinner daily.
• Casablanca Coffee, the four-year-old coffeehouse in the Gulch, is preparing to transform. The cafe, which has been serving coffee, espresso, sandwiches and breakfast items in the ground floor of the Icon condominium tower since 2009, has been sold. The new owners closed it and plan to reopen in a few weeks as Bond Coffee Company.
The owners are in fact named Bond: parents Mel and Kimala Bond and their daughter Kathleen, a Belmont grad and entrepreneur who formerly worked as a manager at The Turnip Truck Urban Fare across the street. The Bonds live in the nearby Terrazzo, so they know the Gulch neighborhood pretty well.
Kathleen Bond said the team plans to keep many of the popular Casablanca menu items and coffee drinks but will add more pastries, desserts and grab-and-go lunch items. She said they will remodel the interior with an eye to making it a sleek, welcoming space where people can work and socialize.
Bond Coffee Company aims to launch at 602 12th Ave. S. sometime around the middle of April.
• Big River Grille, which has been operating on Lower Broadway for almost 18 years, is also undergoing a transformation, as my Nashville Scene colleague Chris Chamberlain reports.
The brewpub chain’s parent company is changing Big River into an outpost of the Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery concept, which it also owns. As Chamberlain reports, Rock Bottom’s craft brews have won a number of national awards, so that sounds like a good thing.
Along with new menu items, the restaurant’s seating will also be expanded, with the addition of a rooftop bar with a fire pit and panoramic views of downtown.
• As previously reported, the Miami-based chain Pollo Tropical opened its first Tennessee location in Smyrna on Feb. 1, bringing its Caribbean-inspired chicken-centric fast-casual fare to our region.
Now we hear Pollo Tropical’s second Tennessee location is opening soon. The company is taking over the former A&W and KFC site at 2017 Mallory Lane in Cool Springs and is giving the building a substantial renovation. Pollo Tropical specializes in “marinated flame-grilled chicken, guava barbecue riblets, roast pork and many more Caribbean-inspired favorites.” They also serve salads, tropical desserts and mix-and-match entree and side dish combos called “Tropi-Chops.”
We hear they plan to open the Cool Springs location later this spring.
- ALEX B FRUIN INHERITANCE TRUST; CANDACE F STEFANSIC INHERITANCE TRUST; CANDANCE F STEFANSIC INHERITANCE TRUST; FRUIN, ALEX B TRUSTEE; FRUIN ALEX B INHERITANCE TRUST; STEFANSIC, CANDACE F TRUSTEE; STEFANSIC CANDACE F INHERITANCE TRUST; STEFANSIC CANDANCE F INHERITANCE TRUST
- ROSS, BRIDGETT D
- COOKE, ETHEN LANYARD TRUSTEE; COOKE, ETHEN LEWIS ESTATE
- JACOBS, JESSICA ALEXANDRA; JACOBS, ERIKA BESS