The Tennessee Medical Association announced today Russ Miller has been promoted to chief executive officer after having served as executive vice president.
Miller (pictured), a veteran Nashville-based public relations and marketing professional, has been with the Nashville-based TMA since 1987. As EVP, he directed the association’s strategic plan, information technology, corporate communications, marketing and sales management. Miller replaces Don Alexander, who is retiring after 40 years with the TMA and serving as CEO since 1995.
“The TMA is undergoing internal changes to allow our organization to continue to meet the challenges of our rapidly changing healthcare system,” Miller said in a release. “We are focused on the future needs of our members and the patients they serve. “
In addition, the TMA has promoted the following staff:
* Yarnell Beatty will become vice president of advocacy after having served as director of legal and government affairs. He will direct all legal, regulatory, legislative and political action committee activities. Previously an attorney with the state health‐related boards and the Tennessee Department of Health, Beatty joined the TMA in 2001.
* Brent Atkinson will become vice president of operations after having served as director of finance and administration since 2005. Atkinson will oversee all TMA accounting, human resources and operations.
* Ashley Cates has been named director of marketing, after previously serving as communications manager.
* Angie Madden will become director of practice solutions, expanding her duties from director of e‐health services.
The TMA has also hired the following:
* Michael Hurst will serve as director of business development, focusing on expanding the TMA’s spectrum of member services and products. He previously worked in the health care marketing and personal lines insurance industries as a business development executive.
* Katie Dageforde will serve as assistant general counsel with concentration in health insurance laws and the federal Affordable Care Act.