More and more, employees are making off with sensitive data from their employers:
Brill said Kroll already is seeing a higher rate of incidents involving employees taking sensitive company data — either before or after they’ve been let go — that they intend to use to better themselves with another employer or start a competing business. Brian Lapidus, a colleague of Brill and the Nashville, Tennessee-based COO of Kroll’s fraud solutions division, said there were about 1,000 more data security inquiries to Kroll in December than just last July. "We’re seeing more [data] breaches and we’re seeing more activity from those people who have been victims of a breach," Lapidus said. A study that Ponemon Institute LLC released last month found that more than 88 percent of all data breaches involved insider negligence, while the remaining 12 percent were the result of a malicious act. The study also found that the cost of data breaches to companies rose in 2008 to an average $202 per record compromised, up 2.5 percent from 2007 and 11 percent from 2006.
May 26, 2009 7:33 AM
Jonathan Perlin, chief medical officer at the nation's largest hospital chain, will oversee the U.S. Health and Human Services Department's Health IT Standards Committee, which will make recommendations to national health IT coordinator David Blumenthal on standards for a future electronic health record. Before joining HCA in 2006, Perlin was under secretary for health in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
May 22, 2009 1:15 AM
Passport Health Communications has joined forces with Ohio-based NCR Corp. to combine their offerings.
FRANKLIN, Tenn. – Health care information technology and services company Passport Health Communications, Inc. and self-service patient registration leader NCR Corporation will integrate their respective revenue cycle management products and services for health care providers across the U.S. NCR and Passport will develop and define a standard, integrated solution for hospitals and other facilities that automatically verifies insurance eligibility when patients register at the NCR MediKiosk™ or NCR Patient Portal. Passport’s credit card processing services can also be integrated to help providers facilitate patient collections. “Patient access kiosks and self-service Web portals are in demand because they increase speed, accuracy and efficiency and create more patient-friendly processes,” said Passport Chief Sales and Marketing Officer Jeff Drake. “Together, Passport and NCR can enhance the efficiency of the registration process for both the patient and provider.” While the number of affiliated companies in Passport’s business partnership program continues to grow, Passport has to date not made its services widely available via kiosks or patient Web portals. Passport chose to pursue a partnership with NCR because of NCR’s strength in the self-service market and its complementary reputation for reliable, innovative technology with good support. “Increasing the efficacy and efficiency of front office activities can have a direct impact on improving revenue cycle. Integrating with Passport increases the benefit NCR solutions can have in this critical area,” said Raj Toleti, general manager, NCR Healthcare.
May 19, 2009 10:45 AM
Billboard.biz crunches the numbers on the music industry's $162 million revenue gap this year and offers some thoughts on how add-ons and innovative song groupings can help.
The album format will continue to slide in popularity, but well-marketed bundles can provide small, incremental revenue gains. Those gains can be achieved by improving the quality of bundles, finding alluring product mixes to present as bundles, and continuing to enlist the help of retailers to push bundles over individual track sales.Another way to make up those lost sales? Have 10 million listen to Web radio for six and a half hours a day for the next year. Not gonna happen, is it?
May 19, 2009 7:08 AM
Bob Sherry, a veteran of Valueclick and Business.com back in the day, has been named executive vice president of business development at StudioNow, which markets online video production services. Two-year-old StudioNow is backed by Claritas Capital, Clayton Associates and others.
May 14, 2009 6:56 AM
Call center manager Sitel rolls out a new service to collect small debts earlier in the billing process.
One of Sitel’s large, consumer-focused clients recently implemented this new solution and cut the average cost per customer by nearly 50 percent and increased collections by approximately $7 million. The client also experienced reduction in roll rates.
May 12, 2009 10:46 PM
POSTDATA: WARRANTY DEEDS