Jim Caldwell believes the keys to effective and successful leadership are too numerous to count on one hand. Barely.
A head coach in both college and professional football, Caldwell has delivered speeches on leadership at numerous conferences in recent years and, according to reports on his appearances, the message always is the same.
Caldwell believes there are six pillars of successful leadership.
No doubt, he espoused that approach when he interviewed with Tennessee Titans executives in regard to the team’s vacant head coach position. He was the second person to interview for the job, which became available when Mike Munchak was fired on Saturday.
Caldwell’s six pillars of effective leadership are:
• Competence – Be an expert in your respective field or specialty.
• Humility – When you don’t put yourself above others, you draw them closer to you.
• Authenticity – Be yourself and stick to your core beliefs, regardless of your situation.
• Motivation – Be positive and persistent in pursuit of a shared vision.
• Passion – Be emotionally invested in order for those in the organization to be the same.
• Service – Always think of what you can do for others so you can help them achieve beyond their own perceived limitations.
Caldwell, 58, was head coach at Wake Forest from 1993-2000 and with the Indianapolis Colts for three seasons, the last of which was 2011.
In his first season in charge of Indianapolis, the Colts won their first 14 games, finished the season 14-2 and eventually made the Super Bowl, where they lost to New Orleans. He was 26-63 at Wake Forest, but in 1999 his team went 7-5 and won the Aloha Bowl. It was that school’s first bowl appearance in seven years and just its third bowl victory all-time.
- BRASWELL, ROBERT
- GARRETT, JOHNNY C EXECUTOR; GARRETT, JOHNNY C IV EXECUTOR; GARRETT, ANN BIGGER ESTATE; GARRETT, TIMOTHY M EXECUTOR
- GARRETT, TIMOTHY M EXECUTOR; GARRETT, ANN BIGGER ESTATE; GARRETT, JOHNNY C EXECUTOR; GARRETT, JOHNNY C IV EXECUTOR
- GARRETT, JOHNNY C IV EXECUTOR; GARRETT, JOHNNY C EXECUTOR; GARRETT, ANN BIGGER ESTATE; GARRETT, TIMOTHY M EXECUTOR