The losses keep coming for Vanderbilt’s men’s basketball team. The personnel losses, that is.
Sophomore guard Eric McClellan is suspended from school and will miss the remainder of the season.
The university issued the following release Wednesday:
Vanderbilt sophomore Eric McClellan, a member of the men’s basketball team, will not be enrolled in school spring semester due to a violation of university academic policy. He is expected to be reinstated this summer.
McClellan was the Commodores’ leading scorer prior to conference play, which began Tuesday with a 68-63 loss at Alabama. McClellan did not make the trip.
He also issued a statement:
I want to apologize to my family, coaches, teammates, and the entire Vanderbilt community for my actions that have led to this suspension,” he said. “I take full responsibility for what has happened. I look forward to returning to school this summer and of continuing my goal of earning a degree at Vanderbilt and playing basketball for this coaching staff and with these players.
The departures started following the 2012-13 season.
• In July, guard Kevin Bright, the team’s best 3-point shooter last season, signed with a professional team in Germany so that he could be closer to his mother.
• Also in July, starting point guard Kedren Johnson was suspended from school and the team for a violation of university policy.
• Earlier, guards A.J. Astroth and Sheldon Jeter transferred.
• In the first month of the season center Josh Henderson sustained a knee injury that will keep him out until next season.
With McClellan now out of the picture, Vanderbilt has seven scholarship players available for the remainder of the season, which continues Saturday with a home game against Kentucky (2:30 p.m., ESPN).
- BRASWELL, ROBERT
- GARRETT, JOHNNY C EXECUTOR; GARRETT, JOHNNY C IV EXECUTOR; GARRETT, ANN BIGGER ESTATE; GARRETT, TIMOTHY M EXECUTOR
- GARRETT, TIMOTHY M EXECUTOR; GARRETT, ANN BIGGER ESTATE; GARRETT, JOHNNY C EXECUTOR; GARRETT, JOHNNY C IV EXECUTOR
- GARRETT, JOHNNY C IV EXECUTOR; GARRETT, JOHNNY C EXECUTOR; GARRETT, ANN BIGGER ESTATE; GARRETT, TIMOTHY M EXECUTOR