Jordan Matthews had one of the best games of his career Saturday against Kentucky.
The statistics said as much even if Matthews would not.
“It was a normal day,” Vanderbilt’s standout senior wide receiver said.
In a way, he’s right. This season it seems like it’s always something with Matthews.
So here’s a look at what he accomplished this week with his 12 catches for 141 yards in the Commodores’ 22-6 victory.
The 12 receptions were his career high and made him the first receiver in SEC history with 80 or more receptions in two seasons (he leads the conference with 83).
MOST RECEPTIONS IN A GAME, JORDAN MATTHEWS
12 – vs. Kentucky, Nov. 16, 2013
11 – vs. Georgia, Oct. 19, 2013
10 – vs. Ole Miss, Aug. 29, 2013
10 – at Wake Forest, Nov. 24, 2012
10 – vs. Massachusetts, Oct. 27, 2012
He became the first player in school history with two 1,000-yard receiving seasons.
VANDERBILT 1,000 RECEIVERS
Jordan Matthews (2012) 1,323
Boo Mitchell (1988) 1,213
Earl Bennett (2006) 1,146
Bob Goodridge (1967) 1,114
Dan Stricker (2001) 1,079
Jordan Matthews (2013) 1,076
He moved within three of former Vanderbilt standout Earl Bennett’s SEC record for career receptions.
SEC CAREER RECEPTION LEADERS
1. Earl Bennett, Vanderbilt (2005-07) 236
2. Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt (2010-13) 233
3. Craig Yeast, Kentucky (1995-98) 208
4. Kenny McKinley, South Carolina (2005-08) 207
5. Terrence Edwards, Georgia (1999-02) 204
On Monday he was named the SEC’s Offensive Player of the Week. It was the first time in his career he earned that award.
Also Monday he was named one of 10 semifinalists (three are from the SEC) for the Biletnikoff Award, which is given annually to the country’s top receiver.
BILETNIKOFF AWARD SEMIFINALISTS
Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt
Odell Beckham Jr., LSU
Mike Evans, Texas A&M
Davante Adams, Fresno State
Jace Amaro, Texas Tech
Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
Antwan Goodley, Baylor
Allen Robinson, Penn State
Willie Snead, Ball State
Sammy Watkins, Clemson
“He does his thing every day,” quarterback Austyn-Carta Samuels said. “He comes to work every day, as hard as he can. He’s going to have his opportunities because of his work ethic and what he does on a daily basis. It’s my job … to just get him the ball.”
- BRASWELL, ROBERT
- GARRETT, JOHNNY C EXECUTOR; GARRETT, JOHNNY C IV EXECUTOR; GARRETT, ANN BIGGER ESTATE; GARRETT, TIMOTHY M EXECUTOR
- GARRETT, TIMOTHY M EXECUTOR; GARRETT, ANN BIGGER ESTATE; GARRETT, JOHNNY C EXECUTOR; GARRETT, JOHNNY C IV EXECUTOR
- GARRETT, JOHNNY C IV EXECUTOR; GARRETT, JOHNNY C EXECUTOR; GARRETT, ANN BIGGER ESTATE; GARRETT, TIMOTHY M EXECUTOR